Thursday, January 10, 2008

Carded Away

The one thing I have in common with my family is that none of us are big phone people. I mean can any of you really re-call a phone conversation with me that lasted any lengthy amount of time? I'm going to say no because I really don't care to be on the phone. Anyways what I'm getting at is that I don't often converse with my family, maybe a short e-mail every other month. However, my mom writes to me every great once in awhile. The only time she ever does this is to send me an obituary from the newspaper of someone I know. She volunteers and donates money to animal rescues and they send her free greeting cards in return. So every death letter I get comes in a card with cute little puppies or kittens on it. I open my mail today and I see a letter. I kind of just look at it for awhile. I know that if I open it that inside I will find someone I know has died. I just hold the letter and think about whoever it is at this very moment is still alive in my head but once I open it they won't be. Finally I open the envelope and see a drawing of three kittens playing with balls of string that are primary colored. Sure enough when I open the card a newspaper clipping falls out with a picture of my 4th grade teacher on it who died this week who was the same age as my parents. The card itself is from the National Humane Society and is blank on the inside but on the back is typed "Feline Leukemia positive cats can have long, good lives. It just means they can not be around cats that have tested negative for the disease." So now I'm just left sitting here feeling bad about my 4th grade teacher and Feline Leukemia.

No comments: