Wednesday, January 21, 2009

'biscuit of today'

I read this silly little inspirational story a month or two ago and for some reason it just stuck with me. I am not one for inspirational readings or self help books or anything to do with chicken soup for your soul. No offense if you like those things, it is just not my thing. Let me paste the story here.

"I'm going to tell a story. It's about biscuits. Please bear with me. A Buddhist priest told me this story, about how he used to be the chief baker in his monastery. He tried to make the best biscuits he could make - fluffy, buttery, warm, delicious biscuits. But no matter what he did, the biscuits were never good enough. Too dry, or too moist, never quite right. He was getting very dissatisfied and upset with himself. Then, he realized that he was trying to capture the essence of the biscuits that he had as a child and that the biscuits he remembered were an idealized, unreal version. The reason his biscuits never tasted good enough is because they never could be, but only so long as he tried to capture the essence of an unreal, imagined perfect biscuit. When he realized this, he decided to make the 'biscuit of today' not the biscuit of the past. It was imperfect, unlike anything he remembered as a young child, but the most delicious biscuit he had ever had, because it simply WAS. It was not idealized or perfected, it was just itself. And it was perfect in its imperfections, because there was nothing else it could be. I think it is high time we all start being the biscuit of today."

Sometimes when things aren't going right I tell myself to just be the best biscuit I can. This is probably one of those things over time that I am going to continue to do and then one day forget why I'm calling myself biscuit in my head.

No comments: