Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sew What

This weekend I've done a lot of driving around to every fabric store in town and preparing to get back into the world of sewing. First off I bit the bullet and bought a new machine. It is so beautiful and I might be in love. I have two very different projects lined up. First off I'm making a purse from some of my African fabric. It took me awhile to find handles I want to use for it. It should be a fairly simple project. Next though I have decided to make a quilt. I bought a pattern that is very complicated because I just want to dive in head first and I am a pretty good sewer. I have come to see looking over the pattern that this is going to take a lot of fabric and is not going to be cheap. I'm just going to have to buy the fabric a little at a time when I can afford it. I need 26 different fabrics to make it so this project is going to probably take me the whole year. It is a big investment and I hope I don't fail.

While at F&S fabrics I over heard this woman working there telling a customer about fashion design schools in LA. She said "They are all the same, Otis, FIDM, and the others schools. They only give students one sewing class because they want to focus on design. The students come here after they graduate for sewing classes because they haven't learned anything about structure." I had to interrupt and say "I'm sorry to interrupt but I went to Otis and I had 3 years of sewing classes 8 hours a day 3 days a week." I was nice but inside I wanted to justify those hours learning to sew and many late nights at school sewing. I don't think the lady liked me correcting her because later she refused to help me saying she was busy. I have found that women that work at fabric stores are rarely very nice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

COngrats on your new sewing machine. If you're looking for more African fabrics for your quilt, check out my site, www.CulturedExpressions.com. I assure you, we're much nicer than the ladies on your local fabric shop ; )

"Feel the Fabric...Embrace the Culture"

lisa s