Thursday, October 9, 2008

Sir Fig

My spin teacher tonight was an elderly man. I've seen him in the gym before but he usually teaches the earlier classes. I would guess that he is in his early 70's with a full salt and pepper beard. He is tall and thin, like a man that has been a bicyclist for many decades. He always wears tight biker shorts that fall just above his knees. At first he irritated me because he did the same thing all male instructors do. He verbally reprimanded the women for jutting their hips too much from side to side when they stand on the bike. None of the women instructors ever complain of this. It is very difficult not to move your hips when the way you are shaped dictates your hip movement. After that he grew on me. He played some fast banjo picking music that I really loved. It was the most fun music that I have ever ridden to. About half way though the class he decided to introduce himself and said "My name is Newt, like a Fig Newton or Sir Isaac Newton." He was just so delightful.

No comments: