Sunday, September 23, 2007

Way Over the Rainbow

So I've been to gay pride, I've seen the West Hollywood Parades, I've even seen leather daddies in assless chaps, however...tonight I experienced the gayest time EVER. Tonight I witnessed Rufus Wainwright sing Judy Garland's famous 1961 Carnegie Hall performance at the Hollywood Bowl. It was super fabulous! When I got there I noticed that the crowd was made up of 85% gay gentlemen, 10% fag hags or mothers with their gay sons, and 5% other. So many men! It was the only time I've ever been to the Hollywood Bowl and not had to wait in line for the bathroom. My favorite moment of the night was when Martha Wainwright came on stage and sang, she is incredible. Also guest staring on stage was Rufus and Martha's hot mama, Kate McGarrigle, on piano. Also performing in a giant flowing Barbie pink evening gown was Judy's daughter Lorna Luft who has an amazing voice. Rufus sang "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" while dramatically laying on the ground and the lights of the Hollywood Bowl were changed into a giant rainbow. He sang my favorite Judy song "The Trolley Song". However the icing on the cake was the encore where he came out in the famous fishnet stockings, heels, fedora, and tux top as a dress and sang "Lets Get Happy". Gayest night ever! Super fun!

2 comments:

Buzz Stephens said...

Speaking of Judy Garland, this week over at The Judy Garland Experience they are featuring Judy's complete concert from August 23, 1967. The very same concert where Miss Joan Crawford pulled herself up onto the stage to bask in some of Judy's audience love. They are also featuring the episode of Good News where Joan tries to sing with Judy! And if that isn't enough Joan Crawford there are also highlights from her 1973 appearance at Town Hall.
Wait, that's not all. Along with other Judy audio tidbits there is also a rare concert from Lee Wiley, and ultra rare tracks from the long forgotten voacalist Beverly Kenney.
If you haven't become a member of The Judy Garland Experience yet, don't you think it's about time?
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/

Xine said...

apparently my transformation into a gay man is complete and I have been put on their mailing list.