Thursday, September 27, 2007

Ingredients for Life

I don't know what triggered this memory but I wanted to share with you the way I learned about the birds and the bees.

When I was but a wee child in elementary school I brought home a paper for my mom to sign giving me permission to learn sex ed. Of course at this age I think they were just going to tell us about menstruation and vaginas and nothing about actual sex. Well, my mom sat me down and said "Now, you can learn about this in school or I can tell you about it, which would you like?" Now I was rather naive but I knew that sex was when people got naked and rubbed up against each other and I certainly didn't want to hear about whatever was involved with that from my mother so I said "I'd rather learn it in school?" My mom said "Are you sure? Wouldn't you rather know going into class?" I could tell that she wanted me to have her tell me but I said "No, I'd rather hear it in class." So she said okay and everything was fine. The next day my mom had me pick out a receipt from her cookbook to make because one of my favorite things to do was bake, I'm not claiming to have been a normal child. I picked out this awesome receipt for these dessert bars with gram cracker crust and chocolate and butterscotch chips. We went to the store and got ingredients and came back and made them. I but them in the oven and look behind me and my mom is at the kitchen table with a stack of books. She tells me to come over while the bars are in the oven. She then starts to give me the sex talk. I remember feeling tricked and mad. She is telling me about ejaculation and says "you know that sweetened condensed milk you put into the bars, well when a man ejaculates semen with sperm that's what it looks like." She goes through her books and I find it all gross but then the realization that my parents have done this sets in and I feel nauseous. I take the bars out of the oven to cool. She goes on in painfully clinical detail. After she is done and I feel embarrassed, angry, and nauseous she puts one of the cooled bars in front of me and says "here now you can have one." All I can think of is the sperm filled semen like ingredients I put into the bars. I hid it in my napkin and threw it away.

No comments: