Sunday, April 25, 2010

I Know my Velocity...slow

I did it! I finally finished reading same book I have been reading off and on for the last half a year, Dave Eggers' "You Shall Know Our Velocity." It isn't a long book at all either. It just weighs so heavy on my heart and pains me but at the same time it's really good. Like many of his books it deals with sadness in all the little ways that feels like there is a tight grip on your heart that you worry will crush you but at the same time it's reassuring and beautiful. This book has the best first and last line I think I've ever read.

First line: "Everything within takes place after Jack died and before my mom and I drowned in a burning ferry in the cool tannin-tinted Guaviare River, in East-Central Colombia, with forty-two locals we hadn't yet met."

Last line: "It stopped for a minute I swear, but then the sound and pictures came back on and for two more interminable months we lived."

That is some wonderful writing there. Okay, next up maybe I will read something a bit lighter.

No comments: