Sunday, November 15, 2009

These Precious Things

Last night I was leaving Frank's birthday party and winding through the twists of Laurel Canyon Rd when I came around the corner to find the taxi that was a few seconds ahead of me crashed. It was just stopped in the lane with glass everywhere. The silhouette of the driver was still and limp. The truck that had crashed into it was on the sidewalk on the other side. There was only 2 lanes of traffic so I was stuck behind it. Some people were already pulled over and helping. The giant truck behind me was flashing its high beams at me to move. I'm not really sure where he expected me to move to, what a jerk. Finally I was able to get around. Its funny because I had this sense of dread all day like something terrible was going to happen. If I had left the party 10 seconds earlier then I could have been that unconscious silhouette in the car surrounded by glass.

Today I walked over to the Arclight to watch "Precious." I got so angry at the rich white people that sat next to me and snickered at parts that weren't suppose to be funny just culturally and economically different then them. They also made "ewwww" sounds at her weight. I'm still so angry about this. What did they think the movie was going to be like? I started feeling dirty, like they were at the zoo watching the animals.

No comments: