Saturday, March 28, 2009

Y Me

When I was in college I was getting a lesson in lingerie from the good people of Cosabella and the lady was talking about the ways in which to make a woman feel good about her body. She was talking about making sure the bras don't push and extenuate the little Y shape under a woman's arms. The space where the arm and body meet. She looked at all of us and noted that none of us had this yet because we were too young. It was true. I was looking in the mirror today and realized I now have a Y shape. Frankly I started out today in a very bad mood, not because of the Y shape. I just hit a wall where I got fed up with myself and all the stupid things I can't stop obsessing over no matter how hard I try. I sat in bed and read the morning away just to take my mind off myself. I finally shamed myself up and out the door. I was at Joanne's fabrics to pick up some sewing supplies. I hate Joanne's, it is an awful place. I was so grumpy waiting in line behind the unhappy house wives and home schooled families of Santa Monica. When I was in line this old lady hands me an extra coupon for 40% off and smiles and asks me if I would like it. I felt ashamed of all my grumpiness and smiled back at her and thanked her very much. Sometimes I just need a gentle reminder about how lovely random acts of kindness can be. Maybe I should cut myself some slack and show myself some random acts of kindness.

No comments: